My husband asked me last week,
“Philly, I have a days consultancy with a new client and I need an Icebreaker that will help us get to know each other quickly and build rapport quickly, can you find one for me please?”
Here’s the Icebreaker I chose....
Name of Icebreaker : Acronyms
Category of Icebreaker : Further Introductions
Time Scales : 10 Minutes
Size of Group : Unlimited. Can be used in all group sizes from 1: 1 to 1000’s in your training room.
Materials Required : Flipchart Paper and Pens
Aim of Icebreaker: To encourage creativity with the use of words enabling each team member to describe their personality.
1. Give each team member a piece of flipchart paper or a standard piece of paper.
2. Ask them to write their name vertically down the left hand side of the page.
3. Then ask each of them come up with a word that describes their personality for each letter of their name.
P - PROFESSIONAL
I - INTELLIGENT
L - LOVING
I – IRRESISTIBLE ;-)
P - POSITIVE
P - PRACTICAL
A – AMUSING
4. Then ask the group to present their acronym back to the rest of the group.
5. You could also ask them to explain why they have chosen those particular words.
- You can ask them to do their middle names and surname as well if you want to.
- If you have more than one trainee, rather than each individual doing their own, to encourage teamwork and boost bonding, you can ask them to come up with words for each other.
- Alternatively you can choose any word for them to turn into an acronym, for example: a fruit, an animal, a subject that they have covered.
This icebreaker gets your group thinking and being creative with words. It helps you get to know the personality of the other trainees quickly. Lots of fun can be had doing this icebreaker.
Happy Training! :-)